Excellence in Municipal Risk Management Award
Frank Cowan Company launched the Excellence in Municipal Risk Management Award to recognize the advancement of the practice of risk management within the municipal sector.
The award will be presented annually to a Canadian municipality that has recognized a risk within their municipality’s operations and has developed and successfully implemented a solution that will prevent harm or injury to its assets or to a third party. This risk management solution must also have the potential to be adopted by other municipalities. Click here to download an award package.
Previous Excellence in Municipal Risk Management Award winners:
2016, Municipality of East Hants, NS
2015, City of Greater Sudbury, ON
2014, Municipality of Clarington, ON
- The award is open to all Canadian municipalities
- The solution:
• Must have the potential to be adopted by other municipalities
• Is cost-effective to implement
• Addresses a risk within the municipal sector
The municipality agrees to the documentation and sharing of the winning solution along with the use of the $10,000 prize through the Frank Cowan Company Risk Management Centre of Excellence, social media posts, a press release as well as an awards presentation.
- An award in the amount of $10,000 will be presented by Frank Cowan Company to the municipality that is awarded the annual Excellence in Municipal Risk Management Award. The award monies must be used to continue to fund the current or a future risk management initiative. The recipient will be asked to provide details regarding the use of the funds. The use of the funds will be publicly disclosed as referenced in the “Eligibility” section.
- A plaque recognizing the municipality’s advancement of the practice of risk management will be presented to Municipal Council by representatives of Frank Cowan Company.
The award will be presented at Frank Cowan Company’s reception at FCM’s annual conference in June. The date and time will be announced in 2018 closer to the conference date.
Candidates may be nominated in the following manner:
- By any employee within the municipality
- Members of Municipal Council
- An employee of Frank Cowan Company
- The municipality’s insurance broker
- Another municipality
- A professional industry association, such as Federation of Canadian Municipalities; Ontario Good Roads; Government Finance Officers Association of British Columbia; Union of Municipalities of New Brunswick; etc.
Nominators must complete the Excellence in Municipal Risk Management Award application and ensure the Nominee is comfortable with their name being put forward based on the Application Guidelines. Click here to download an award package.
All applications must be received by 5:00 pm EST on February 1, 2018. Late applications will not be considered.
All applications will be judged by representatives from the Frank Cowan Company or chosen by the Frank Cowan Company.
Announcing the Winner
The Mayor of the winning municipality will be notified on Monday, April 30, 2018 by the President of Frank Cowan Company. The winning municipality must keep the information confidential until made public by Frank Cowan Company.
Communication Linked to the Award
- The successful risk management initiative along with the future use of the prize money will be featured on Frank Cowan Company’s Risk Management Centre of Excellence and the Frank Cowan Company website.
- A photo will be taken at the award presentation and a joint press release will be distributed to media.
- Website and print copy associated with the Frank Cowan Company Excellence in Municipal Risk Management Award.
- Other communications may follow.
Please email all inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful candidate must give Frank Cowan Company permission to reproduce and distribute the documents related to the entry as well as details as to how the donation will further the current or a future risk management initiative.